MARC Bike Cars October 27 and 30
The Maryland Department of Transportation Maryland Transit Administration (MDOT MTA) continues to work to improve access for those who wish to combine bicycling with MARC train service or our local buses to connect to employment or recreation. We invite you leave the car at home and get out on the trail for the day or weekend. The MARC Brunswick line will be offering Bike Car service on Friday, October 27 from Washington DC out to West Virginia, and then Monday, October 30, from West Virginia back to Washington DC. This a great opportunity for cyclists interested in riding the C&O Canal. Specific trains with Bike Cars are below-
From Washington DC to West Virginia on October 27:
- Train 871 (Friday-only service, Departing Union Station at 1:30 p.m. and arriving at Point of Rocks at 2:45 p.m. and Brunswick at 3:00 p.m. Please note that this train does not continue into West Virginia, however, both the Point of Rocks and Brunswick stations are immeditately adjacent to the C&O Canal which provide direct bike/pedestrian access into West Virignia.)
- Train 875 (Departing Union Station at 4:25 p.m. and arriving at Point of Rocks at 5:39 p.m., Brunswick at 5:52 p.m., and Harpers Ferry at 6:05 p.m.)
- Train 879 (Departing Union Station at 5:40 p.m. and arriving at Point of Rocks at 6:52 p.m., Brunswick at 7:05 p.m., and Harpers Ferry at 7:18 p.m.)
From West Virginia to Washington DC on October 30:
- Train 874 (Departing Harpers Ferry at 5:50 a.m., Brunswick at 6:05 a.m., and Point of Rocks at 6:15 a.m. and arriving at Union Station at 7:35 a.m.)
- Train 878 (Departing Harpers Ferry at 6:50 a.m., Brunswick at 7:05 a.m., and Point of Rocks at 7:15 a.m. and arriving at Union Station at 8:32 a.m.)
Using the MARC Bike car is a breeze - check out the image below to see what the interior looks like! You can purchase tickets at Union Station, Silver Spring, Rockville, Germantown, Gaithersburg, Brunswick, and Martinsburg. Reservations aren't necessary - just ride up and ride on! There are 23 bike racks per Bike Car.
For those who are interested in returning on Saturday or Sunday, Amtrak accommodates bicycles, but tickets must be purchased in advance.
MDOT MTA encourages you to please share this information with all who enjoy bicycling. MDOT MTA looks forward to providing an opportunity to help our riders experience more of our great state.