Saturday, March 24: Important Information For Riding MARC Train
MARC Train Weekend Service on Saturday, March 24
Passengers traveling to events in Washington, DC
MARC Train is working with our contract operators to transport passengers to Washington, DC on Saturday, March 24. All available Penn Line resources will be deployed, however, our capacity--especially on the weekends--is limited. It is likely that trains will be very crowded and you will have to stand. Boarding will be stopped on trains when they reach a safe capacity. Having a ticket does not guarantee a seat or passage on a train; you may have to wait to take a later train. MARC does not have pre-reserved seating or ticketing for specific trains. Please allow extra time to get to your destination and arrive at your boarding station early. The information that follows is very important and will help make your trip on MARC more enjoyable.
The MARC Penn Line will operate on a modified weekend schedule -- the regular Saturday schedule WILL NOT be in effect. Click here to download the March 24, 2018 Penn Line schedule.
- Please note that Train 689 (2:45pm departure from Martin Airport) will originate at Penn Station. Bus transportation will be provided from Martin Airport to BWI Marshall Rail Station.
The MARC Brunswick and Camden Lines operate Monday through Friday only and will not operate on Saturday, March 24.
Parking is free at the following stations: Martin Airport (free, but very limited), West Baltimore, Halethorpe, Odenton and Bowie State University. Paid parking is available at Baltimore Penn Station and BWI Marshall Airport Rail Station.
Please note that charter motorcoach, school bus, and mini bus parking is not permitted at MARC Train stations and towing will be enforced. Only MTA or other transit agency buses may use the bus loop facilities at West Baltimore, BWI Marshall Airport Rail Station, and Odenton stations. Buses are strictly prohibited from entering the parking or drop off areas at Martin Airport and Baltimore Penn Station. Overnight parking is not permitted at MARC stations (except for Penn Station and BWI).
Due to the anticipated crowds, bicycles (both folding and non-folding) will not be permitted on Saturday, March 24. We regret any inconvenience. Bike accommodations will resume on Sunday, March 25.
Penn Line one-way fares to Washington are as follows.
- Martin Airport: $9
- Baltimore Penn Station and West Baltimore: $8
- Halethorpe and BWI Marshall Airport Rail Station: $7
- Odenton and Bowie State University: $6
Round trip tickets are not sold; please purchase two one way tickets. MARC one way tickets are valid for six months -- We encourage you to purchase tickets in advance, but again, having a ticket does not guarantee a seat or passage on a train; you may have to wait to take a later train. MARC does not have pre-reserved seating or ticketing for specific trains.
How to Buy a Ticket
Each passenger must have a ticket. Group fares will not be sold on Saturday, March 24.
- Washington Union Station, BWI Rail Station and Baltimore Penn Station: Tickets are sold at the Amtrak ticket counter (all forms of payment) and the Amtrak ticket machines (credit card only). When purchasing a ticket from the ticket machine, on the first screen do not press "one way" or "round trip", press "Purchase MARC tickets" which is the last option.
- Bowie State and West Baltimore: Tickets are sold by the Conductor on board the train, with cash only (no credit cards or checks accepted). Please have your cash ready for the Conductor when the train arrives. While exact change is not required, bills larger than $20.00 are not accepted.
- Odenton: Tickets are sold by Commuter Direct ticket agents, cash and all major credit cards are accepted. The station is open Monday-Friday 4:45am to 7:00pm, Saturday 7:30am-3:45pm, and Sunday 9:15am-1:30pm.
- Halethorpe: The Commuter Direct Mobile Store will be onsite from 7:00am to 11:30am selling tickets. Cash and all major credit cards are accepted. After 11:30am, tickets are available from the ticket machines located next to the elevators on the ground level, they accept major credit cards only.
- You may also purchase your tickets online at MARC's online ticket website. Please note that MARC does not currently offer E-ticket or mobile ticketing, paper tickets must be mailed. Allow 4-5 business days for delivery. The email receipt you receive is not a ticket and will not be honored for travel.
What to expect during your ride
- Parking lots, platforms, and trains will be crowded, so you should arrive at your station no later than 20 minutes prior to your train's scheduled departure.
- Trains will be crowded. We strongly discourage large bags or other objects, including coolers.
- It is possible that some trains will have limited boarding based on crowding. We thank you in advance for your patience. Allow extra time to get to your destination.
- Amtrak and MARC Train staff and law enforcement will be on hand to assist passengers, provide information, and ensure crowd management. Please follow all directions given.
- When boarding the train, please move inside and either upstairs or downstairs to the center of the car; do not stop just inside the doors. This will ensure that there is enough space for standees. Passengers may not stand in the area between the railcars for your safety, this is not permitted anytime a train is in motion.
- In the afternoon at Union Station:
- Trains begin boarding 15-20 minutes prior to departure.
- Remain inside the station at the designated boarding gate until your train is announced for boarding.
- Please follow directions from Amtrak and MARC staff at Union Station.
- Boarding will be controlled and passengers counted as trains are loaded to ensure that trains do not exceed a safe capacity.
Please check this website frequently between now and March 24 for important informational updates and the modified schedule for that day. Thank you for riding MARC Train.