About the Statewide Transit Innovation Grant
The Maryland Department of Transportation Maryland Transit Administration (MDOT MTA) Statewide Transit Innovation Grant is a competitive grant program with the goal of supporting local efforts to improve transit reliability, improving access and connections to activity centers, and improving transit mobility options. The program seeks to fund cost-effective public transportation projects that reduce delays for people and goods and improve connectivity between regional and economic population centers. Projects may incorporate bus, rail, or other transit modes.
Governor Larry Hogan has committed $2 million in state funds across fiscal years (FY) 2019 and 2020, with up to $500,000 available for applicants in FY 2019 and the remaining $1.5 million available for applicants in FY 2020. A local match will be required. MDOT MTA will administer the Statewide Transit Innovation Grant.
Who Can Apply
Eligible applicants include
- Maryland local governments, or
- locally operated transit providers.
Applicants may identify additional project partners including other Maryland county and local governments, metropolitan planning organizations, locally operated transit providers, and other non-governmental, for- and non-profit organizations.
Eligible projects may be in the planning, design, engineering, or construction phases, must meet the goals outlined above, and can include activities such as
- corridor studies,
- feasibility studies,
- bus rapid transit corridors,
- dedicated bus lanes,
- transit signal prioritization,
- other transit priority treatments,
- innovative fare payment upgrades,
- connected and autonomous vehicle pilot programs, and
- other transit innovations in safety and mobility improvements.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are required to submit an official application package to request program funds. Complete the fillable PDF or Microsoft Word document below and submit your form along with your official application package to Jaime McKay at email@example.com. Please be sure your application includes ALL of the items identified in the Application Checklist found within the PDF and Word documents.
- Statewide Transit Innovation Grant Application (fillable PDF)
- Statewide Transit Innovation Grant Application (MS Word)
For your application to be considered, it must be complete and received by MDOT MTA no later than June 27, 2018 at 5:00 pm.
MDOT Policy and Grants
The study and implementation of Bus Rapid Transit corridors is an eligible activity for this grant. MDOT provides resources for transit providers and Maryland counties and municipalities to learn about the feasibility and scalability of various elements of BRT. Any applicant considering BRT should review MDOT's BRT policy and guidelines.
- MDOT Bus Rapid Transit Guidelines
- MDOT Policy Wiki
- Statewide Transit Innovation Grant Procedures and Guidelines
There will be a teleconference for interested applicants on Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 2 pm. Call-in information is below:
- Call-in Number: 1-877-431-1883
- Guest Code: 2915446236
- Transportation Alternatives Program (federally funded, MDOT State Highway Administration administered)
- Bikeways Grant Program (state funded, MDOT Secretary’s Office administered)
MDOT administers two related grant programs:
To learn more or sign up for updates, please fill out the form below to be added to the MDOT MTA Office of Planning and Capital Programming's Statewide Transit Innovation Grant list. For questions regarding the Statewide Transit Innovation Grant, contact Jaime McKay, MDOT MTA Office of Planning, at firstname.lastname@example.org.