MTA to Offer Free Transit Rides on Monday, Jan. 25
BALTIMORE, MD (JAN. 24, 2016) – As the region digs out from nearly three feet of snow that has blanketed the area, the Maryland Department of Transportation’s Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) will offer free transit rides on Monday, Jan. 25, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. to accommodate riders faced with reduced service and schedule changes due to road, track and weather conditions. The MTA, which is gradually resuming service, expects to have all services fully operating by Tuesday, Jan. 26, no later than Wednesday, Jan. 27.
“To show our customers we care, the MTA will offer free transit rides tomorrow across each of our modes,” said MTA Administrator and CEO Paul Comfort. “As the Baltimore-Washington region recovers from the largest snowstorm in our area’s history, the MTA is working around the clock to get services back up and running as soon as possible – all while ensuring the safety of our customers and employees. Tomorrow, we’ll resume limited service on most of our transit modes from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. Unfortunately, we won’t operate on our normal schedule due to track and road conditions. But, we’ll do what we can to get our customers where they need to go. The men and women of the MTA are working tirelessly to restore normal service as soon as possible.”
The MTA will offer reduced service on Monday, Jan. 25, on Commuter Bus, Light Rail, Local Bus, MARC Train, Metro Subway and Mobility/Paratransit services. Below is more specific information:
- 17 bus lines will operate – subject to road conditions and not on a set schedule
- Limited Metro Subway service will be available. More details will be announced at 10 p.m. tonight (Jan. 24)
- Limited Light Rail service will be available based on track conditions
- All service is cancelled on Monday, Jan. 25, but may resume on Tuesday, Jan. 26, at 9 a.m.
- No reservations will be taken today (Jan. 24)
- Reservations will resume at noon on Monday, Jan. 25, for services on Tuesday, Jan. 26
- All subscription trips for Tuesday, Jan. 26, will be cancelled; customers must call 410-764-8181 to reschedule an appointment
- All MARC Train service is cancelled.
- No service on Monday, Jan. 25, except on Route 201 to BWI
The MTA Transit Store will be closed tomorrow.
All state offices are closed on Monday, Jan. 25. But MTA emergency/essential personnel are required to report to work as scheduled.
For the latest information on MTA service, passengers are urged to check the MTA website at www.mta.maryland.gov. Please visit MTA’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/mtamaryland and follow us on Twitter @mtamaryland. And, tune into MTA’s Transit Team reports airing on various TV and radio stations in the Baltimore area. To sign up for email notifications about service delays and modifications, go to www.mta.maryland.gov/enotifications.
# # #
Sandy Arnette Paul Shepard
Office: 410-767-8367 Office: 410-767-3935
Cell: 443-835-7984 Cell: 443-622-4181